Is it really possible to learn the piano via Skype?
Most people believe that learning the piano requires one-on-one instruction from a piano instructor in the same room.
Nothing could be farther from the truth.
Of course, one-to-one piano lessons are a perfectly acceptable method of learning, and there is obviously nothing wrong with studying the piano in the same room as your instructor.
The problem is that people believe that learning over Skype is impossible or ineffective.
The truth is that both solutions have advantages and disadvantages.
You can learn over Skype, which has both advantages and disadvantages.
You can learn in person, which has its own set of advantages and disadvantages. (Yes, there are some disadvantages to learning in person; for example, you cannot generally warm up and it is difficult to just record the lesson for future use.)
Yes, it’s feasible! – Discover why it is feasible to learn to play the piano using Skype:
It is certainly doable, and we (the founders of the London Piano Institute) have personally taught many students from scratch to a highly proficient level of piano playing over Skype.
You may read about our background and experience by clicking here.
We have found NO DIFFERENCE between in-person and Skype piano lessons.
Both solutions are effective.
Not everyone has access to superb piano teachers of the highest calibre.
That is why we provide excellent piano lessons to adults all over the world via Skype.
Technology and internet speeds are also improving on an annual basis, hence the whole online piano lesson experience will become smoother and smoother as time goes by!
Reasons why learning the piano online is a viable option (just like in-person lessons):
- Your instructor is interacting with you in REAL-TIME over Skype. Yes, you will need a solid internet connection, but not a fantastic one! Furthermore, any missing time can always be made up if necessary. (Due to network troubles, which are becoming very rare these days!)
- Your instructor can demonstrate you how to play a certain piece or phrase in REAL-TIME via video streaming. If you study in person, you won’t be able to acquire the same perspective as you can through Skype.
- You can record your piano lessons with software that you can add to Skype. An example of such software is Eaver. Of course, you can request that your piano lesson be recorded in person, but this is not the standard, therefore it does not happen. Skype makes everything SO much easier.
- You can warm up properly prior to starting. If you attend your in-person lessons in the winter, you may arrive with freezing hands and fingers. With Skype piano lessons you can warm up properly prior to starting your class.
- By not having to commute to class, you save time and money. You can also carry on with work or practice activities IMMEDIATELY after the session has ended.
- You will be able to relax in a really comfortable setting – your own. In-person lessons might be difficult at times, but Skype classes are usually more relaxing because you learn from home or your own piano studio! It’s just easier!
- You will not ‘catch a cold’ from your instructor or vice-versa. You are in your own private and comfortable space!
- It is very very important to remember that an experienced teacher will definitely help you progress much much faster than a less experienced teacher.
- You do not need to carry your scores to your piano lessons.
- If your job requires you to travel frequently, you can always attend even while on the road. You don’t even need a piano or keyboard to play on. You can learn more about music theory and how music works during sessions where no piano is available. (This is more important than you may realise for your piano development!)
- You learn to listen more as you are more attentive when attending Skype piano lessons. This means you will develop a better ear whilst learning online!
- You don’t need any fancy equipment! Many of our students even take their online piano lessons on their phones. The point is that you don’t need to spend a lot of money on equipment. You can effortlessly connect, enjoy, and progress during your online piano sessions!
- You can practice the material directly after the lesson while it is still fresh in your mind.
- It is usually easier to schedule Skype piano lessons than in-person classes. A Skype piano lesson can take place early in the morning or late in the evening, and it is often easier to accommodate some changes. When studying in person, the room or piano studio is highly sought for, and there is far less flexibility.
- File and screen sharing: Your instructor can instantly send you a link to a book you need to buy or share a piece of a score with you that has notes on it. You may not be able to download or view sheet music if you do not have it with you during your in-person lesson and do not have access to a computer.
- Moving the webcam or video camera allows you to see different chords, methods, and scales from different angles. This can offer additional’secrets’ to playing specific passages or chords, making learning a little easier!
In conclusion: learning the piano online is just like having a face-to-face lesson with an instructor in a room, you just have some extra added advantages!
It’s a brand new world!
Things have improved dramatically in the last two to three decades.
We live in a global world!
It is time to embrace this wonderful world in which you may now learn from ANYWHERE and no longer have to hunt for a piano teacher in your neighbourhood!
You may now learn from master professors in the comfort and convenience of your own home by using Skype or Facetime.
You may make use of the benefits of this remarkable technology by recording the lectures and studying them later. (Having to repeat your lecture again, if not three times!)
Embrace this new reality by taking a Skype piano lesson.
If you want to try an introductory Skype piano lesson to get started contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Introductory Skype Piano Lesson”.
Learn with some of the best instructors and make MASSIVE, LASTING progress in your piano journey!
Finally, become the pianist that you have always wanted to be!