Nowadays, when we want to learn something new, the first thing we do is go online to search for the possibilities. There are hundreds and even thousands of resources out there available at a click. People learn languages, cooking and many other skills like playing instruments: flute, guitar, drums, and piano. All that, online and with no teacher physically present to instruct them. With countless technological gadgets available, online lessons have become highly popular, especially after the COVID-19 situation in which we all had to stay at home and abandon our classes at institutes and schools.
With this new modality, many students started learning instruments through videos and apps, which is not bad at all, except that there’s no way to interact with the instructor to ask questions or receive feedback. In that way, there’s no one to point out the mistakes when you make them.
The piano is sometimes an intimidating instrument to learn since many people associate it with their memories of sitting on a little bench with a teacher instructing them boring music and scales and many others heard that it’s not easy to learn. Well, in order to be able to learn from zero, you will have to leave those memories and prejudices aside.
If you are an adult thinking of taking up online piano lessons but you are hesitating because you don’t have any knowledge at all, here are some good reasons why you should absolutely start those lessons and the benefits you will experience!
Why you don’t need any experience
As mentioned above, the piano is not as difficult as people think it is to get started with.
It just requires your time and enthusiasm. So if you feel nervous about it because you are an adult and you would start from zero, you don’t have to worry.
Excellent quality online instructors have the appropriate qualifications, skills and, of course, training.
Take a look at this list of reasons why you really don’t need any experience:
- Your instructor will teach you the very basics as soon as you start so no prior knowledge is needed in music or piano, after all, we all start from zero when learning a new skill. Once you acquire the basics, you’ll be ready to go pro as the improvement is fast and systematic.
- You don’t need to know how to read sheets, that’s a skill that your instructor will teach you and it’s not that hard! (On the condition that it is taught in the correct manner!)
- If you think you might learn fast and the beginners level could bore you, that’s not a problem. You can jump to the next level as soon as you feel ready. In that way, you’ll make sure the course meets your needs.
- If, on the other hand, you feel you might be slow to learn, you won’t have to worry as you’ll be able to do it on your own time and pace. No one will hurry you and you’ll be able to revise those aspects you don’t feel quite confident with.
The benefits of online piano lessons
Learning a new skill online might sound discouraging for some people, but the fact is that the benefits are countless as you have many comforts that are not possible when you have to go to a school or institute.
Take a look at the benefits of learning piano online:
- Online lessons don’t require you to leave your home, so you won’t have to commute. If you live in a remote area, taking up lessons online is the solution you need. You will save both time, money and energy.
- You’ll be able to learn at any time and of the day and from any place you need.
All you need is a laptop or tablet or even your phone and internet connection. All in all, learning piano online is absolutely flexible!
- You’ll be able to choose from your favourite songs/artists, making the learning process much more interesting and stimulating.
- If you are an absolute beginner and you feel a bit shy or nervous about starting piano lessons, online lessons are the answer as you can learn from the comfort of your home.
- You can develop your skill and get rid of your frustration and anxiety. Sometimes, regular lessons with a teacher can make you feel frustrated when you can’t achieve your goals. Online lessons usually help you decrease the levels of anxiety.
- You will feel more confident since you will be able to get ready for the lessons a few minutes before and then, as soon as the lessons finish, you can continue to practice without interruptions.
- In general, learning a new instrument increases your brain’s memory and improves your cognition as well as your math skills and comprehension. This will, as a consequence, improve your brain’s general flexibility.
- You can challenge yourself to take the pace and level you feel you need. You can go slow or fast, whatever suits you.
- Online piano lessons are usually cheaper than the traditional method since the costs are lower. In addition to that, you’ll be saving the commuting costs
As you can see, opposing to what some people think, the confinement and the internet connection have made learning piano easier than before and more available.
You can learn at your own pace, at the time you need and from the place you are, wherever that is.
All you need is a laptop, tablet or phone and good internet access.
Now it’s time for you to start your online piano lessons!